Abu Dhabi withdraws $150mn bid for AC Milan's Kaka

EXCLUSIVE: Man City take world record bid for Brazilian superstar off the table.
By Anil Bhoyrul
Thu 15 Jan 2009 11:21 AM

Manchester City has withdrawn its world record $150 million bid to sign Brazilian superstar Kaka, according to a senior source close to the club’s owners.

The Abu Dhabi-owned club tabled the bid earlier this week, with Kaka, currently playing for AC Milan, saying he wanted to stay at the Italian club until he retired from the game.

It had been expected that further talks with his representatives would take place on Thursday.

But the well-placed source, speaking on the condition of anonymity, told Arabian Business: “The deal is off, and the offer is no longer on the table. The club is now pursuing another striker which it is very close to signing. Manchester City is about to unveil a new striker, but he is not called Kaka.”

It is understood the new striker being pursued by the club also plays in Italy, though is described as “not in the Kaka league”.

Kaka had been offered a world record $731,000 a week salary to join Manchester City.

Reports in the UK suggested that although the 26-year-old had rejected the move, his Italian club may be willing to negotiate a transfer given the vast sums involved – and that detailed clauses to facilitate the move were still being ironed out between the two clubs.

Some pundits believe AC Milan may be holding out for an even bigger transfer fee.

However, the source told Arabian Business: “They won’t be getting any money from Manchester City; the club is now talking to someone else and the offer is not there anymore.”

Asked whether there were any circumstances under which Kaka could still end up at Manchester City, the source said: “For that to happen AC Milan would have to come forward and say they want to sell the player.”

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Subscribe to Arabian Business' newsletter to receive the latest breaking news and business stories in Dubai,the UAE and the GCC straight to your inbox.