Electrical fire reportedly started after stray gunfire caused high voltage power line to collapse
At least 20 people were left dead and up to 30 others were wounded after being electrocuted at a wedding in Saudi Arabia on Tuesday evening, according to reports in the Gulf kingdom.
The incident is said to have occurred when a high voltage power line collapsed against a metal door on the building where the celebration was taking place, trapping guests inside. The line reportedly collapsed after being hit by stray bullets from celebratory gun fire.
Most of those killed in the tragedy, which happened in Abqaiq’s Ain Badr village 60km from the east coast city of Dammam, were reportedly women, Al-Arabiya said. Keeping with Saudi cultural traditions, weddings are segregated affairs where males and females are kept apart.
In March, two guests at a wedding in neighbouring United Arab Emirates were accidentally killed by bullets shot into the air during celebrations.
Shooting guns as part of wedding celebrations is banned by authorities in both Saudi Arabia and the UAE.