Lawyers of Villaggio blaze accused call for charges to be brought against US giant Nike
Lawyers of defendants in the Villaggio Mall fire court case have called for charges to be brought against US sportswear giant Nike.
The case into the Doha shopping centre blaze in May that left 19 people dead has been postponed until December 19 while judges consider the move, it has been reported.
All defendants who appeared at Thursday's criminal hearing to determine responsibility for the tragedy pleaded not guilty, Doha News said.
The trial was postponed after defence lawyers asked judges to bring charges against Nike, whose shop was the starting point for the fire.
Prosecutors opposed the move, but judges said it would be taken under consideration.
According to Qatar’s fire investigation report published in June, the fire began in the Nike sportswear store due to a faulty electrical wiring.
The fire spread and trapped 13 children and four teachers in daycare centre Gympanzee and also killed two firemen.
Thursday’s hearing was the fifth after one of the defendants - Gympanzee owner Iman Al Kuwari - had failed to turn up for the previous four.
The victims of the blaze included two-year-old triplets Lillie, Jackson and Willsher Weekes from New Zealand.
Their mother Jane made an emotional post on a memorial Facebook page to the children earlier this week, including the last photo she took of the triplets at the mall the day they died.