Dubai’s Nakheel, the master developer behind the Palm Jumeirah, has insisted that the artificial island is “safe” following the collapse of a section of road.
Local newspaper Gulf News reported on the incident on Tuesday, which saw a heavy weight fall onto its side after part of a road gave way.
“This incident [road collapse] involved a contractor. We are waiting for an incident report from the contractor. However, we would like to assure the public that the area has been made safe,” a statement from Nakheel to the newspaper said.
It added that the area has been cordoned off and traffic is being diverted as repairs take place.
Gulf News said that the incident raised concerns over safety on the manmade island.
“Nobody is saying what the cause of the collapse is, but it could be a structural failure or the damage cause by construction activities. But it raises doubts in the mind of people about safety,” said a civil engineer who lives on the Palm.
Earlier this month Nakheel, the developer hardest hit by Dubai’s property crisis in 2008-2009, signed contracts worth AED174m ($47.3m) for the construction of two new beachfront projects on Palm Jumeirah.