Emirates will appeal an Italian court ruling preventing it from flying the Milan-New York route, an airline spokesperson has confirmed.
Last week, the Lazio Regional Administrative Court upheld a complaint from Italian carrier association Assaereo against Emirates. Assaereo said the right to use Milan as a stopover cannot be granted to a non-EU operator or a carrier from a country which is neither the port of departure nor destination, which in this case are Italy and the United States.
However, the Council of State, which is a higher body, temporarily suspended that decision on Tuesday, pending the outcome of an appeal process.
An Emirates spokesperson said in a statement: “We are pleased with yesterday’s (14 April) decision by
the Consiglio di Stato to suspend the ruling of Lazio Regional Administrative
Court (TAR) until the confirmation hearing for the suspension order is
heard. Our passengers can be assured that we will continue to operate as
normal, and we anticipate that the court will look favourably on our
application to remain in operation on the Milan/JFK route until a full
hearing on our appeal, anticipated to take place before the end of this
were disappointed by TAR’s initial ruling and we believe so too are the
thousands of travellers and businesses who use our service between Milan and
JFK. In fact, over 70,000 passengers have already booked to travel with
Emirates on this route between April and August this year, and in the last six
months we have transported over 3,500 tonnes of cargo on this route for the
business community. This highlights both a clear customer demand and need, for
the added choice this service provides. We hope that eventually, the interests
of consumers and the business community will prevail. Emirates remains
committed to our customers and operations in Italy, having just last week
opened a new multi-million Euro dedicated lounge in Rome's FCO airport," the statement added.