Gang ordered to shoot Emirati during second London assault

  • Share via facebook
  • Tweet this
  • Bookmark and Share

An Emirati man and his wife have been attacked in their London apartment this week in the second such assault on UAE nationals in a month, state news agency WAM news reported.

UAE Ambassador to the UK, Abdul Rehman Ghanem Al Mutaiwei, confirmed the attack on Tuesday, saying masked robbers, carrying hammers, knives and guns broke down the couple’s door and entered their apartment.

They threatened the family and stole money, jewelery and credit cards, he said.

Al Mutaiwei said the Emirati man dropped the mask of one of the attackers, who had ordered his accomplice to shoot him because he identified his face.

However, they fled the scene after hearing nearby sirens and fearing the police were coming.

Al Mutaiwei said neighbours alerted police, who immediately launched an investigation and found some of the stolen items, WAM reported.

The ambassador said that as soon as he received a call from the UAE citizen early Tuesday morning he rushed to the house.

He said the family was fine and had been taken to an apartment owned by the Dubai Office in London.

“The British Police are still investigating the incident,” he said.

Meanwhile, four British nationals charged over the alleged assault of three Emirati sisters at their London hotel on April 6 are due to reappear in court on July 3.

The three Emirati sisters were visiting London, along with three children aged between 7-12 years, when they were attacked by an assailant with a hammer.

The incident took place in their room on the seventh floor of the Cumberland Hotel in Marble Arch in the early hours of April 6 when the victims interrupted a burglar who had gained access to their unlocked room.

Philip Spence, 32, of no fixed address, has been charged with three counts of attempted murder and one count of aggravated burglary.

Thomas Efremi, 56, of Upper Handa Walk, Islington, has been charged with handling stolen goods and fraud by false representation and James Moss, 33, of Hanley Road, north London, has been charged with handling stolen goods.

Carly Baker, 31, also of Hanley Road, is charged with handling stolen goods.

The three men have been remanded in custody while Baker has been bailed.

A 34-year-old man, who was also arrested over the attack, has been bailed.

One of the victims, a 36-year-old woman, lost her left eye and has only five percent brain function. Her sister, 34, suffered two skull fractures, a broken left arm and a fractured cheekbone, while the third victim, 31, has a fractured skull and a ruptured left eardrum.

Related:

Further reading

Features & Analysis
Smoke-free Dubai - the big debate

Smoke-free Dubai - the big debate

Will the emirate ever be smoke free? We spark up the conversation...

4
Mentoring matters: Mowgli Q&A

Mentoring matters: Mowgli Q&A

Kathleen Bury, CEO of mentoring foundation Mowgli, on why mentoring...

Guide to getting married in Dubai on a budget

Guide to getting married in Dubai on a budget

Alarmed by how expensive weddings are? Our experts reveal how...

2
Most Discussed
  • 10
    UAE teens among the highest for obesity rates

    Everyone in UAE knows that biggest is best.

    UAE may not light up the international league tables in standard of living, education standards, press... more

    Friday, 29 August 2014 4:20 PM - Proud UAEer
  • 9
    UK politician sacked over burka binbag jibe

    @kingkaiser - exactly! It's a very complex issue and I couldn't agree more. What we also hopefully can all agree on is that no woman should ever be mocked... more

    Friday, 29 August 2014 4:19 PM - Doug
  • 1
    Qatar 'ready to rebuild Gaza'

    Once again my greatest respect for Qatar, and shame on other Arab countries.
    more

    Friday, 29 August 2014 10:53 AM - Ralph Edelman