Musallam Al-Barrak was jailed for five years last week for insulting the Emir
Former Kuwaiti opposition politician Musallam Al-Barrak is due to have his appeal heard in court on Monday, a week after he was sentenced to five years’ jail for insulting the Emir.
Supporters, who spent a sixth consecutive night blocking Al-Barrak’s home from security forces, are expected to march with him to the Palace of Justice, where the hearing will be heard, Kuwait Times reported.
Al-Barrak’s defence lawyers said the politician would hand himself over to authorities ahead of the hearing to avoid being arrested.
They would seek an injunction on the sentence until the appeal is determined.
Al-Barrak has refused to go into custody since he was sentenced on April 15, claiming he has not been allowed to defend his case and is yet to receive a written court order.
He was found guilty of insulting the Emir during a speech in October in which he called on Sheikh Sabah al-Ahmad al-Sabah to avoid "autocratic rule" and claimed he had increased his wealth by $150m.
Al-Barrak told Al-Jazeera TV on Sunday the opposition to his jailing would continue “even if I am jailed, as these political activities are not limited to individuals”.