Marafiq project reaches financial close


  • Share via facebook
  • Tweet this
  • Bookmark and Share

A consortium consisting of Suez Energy International, Gulf Investment Corporation and ACWA Power Projects, has completed limited recourse financing for the Marafiq Independent Water and Power Project (IWPP) in Jubail, in the north-east of Saudi Arabia.

The Marafiq IWPP, the largest such project currently under development in the world, is a 23-year BOOT (build, own, operate, transfer) contract for a 2,750 MW combined cycle power station and a water desalination facility with a capacity of 800,000 m³ per day. The consortium owns 60% of the project, with the remaining 40% held by Marafiq, the Saudi Electricity Company (SEC) and the Public Investment Fund.

The power and water output from the facility will be sold under a single off-take contract to a wholly-owned subsidiary of Marafiq.

The EPC contract was awarded to a consortium consisting of General Electric, Hyundai Heavy Industries and Société Internationale de Déssalement. A syndicate of 29 international, regional and Saudi banks, led by BNP Paribas, Gulf International Bank and SAMBA Financial Group, is providing loans of $ 3.4 billion.

"This project is the largest project finance deal ever signed in the power sector so far," said Dirk Beeuwsaert, CEO of SUEZ Energy International.

"The arrangement of this combined conventional and Islamic financing providing over 80% of the funds for the project, is a major achievement for all the sponsors."

Related:
Join the Discussion

Disclaimer:The view expressed here by our readers are not necessarily shared by Arabian Business, its employees, sponsors or its advertisers.

Please post responsibly. Commenter Rules

  • No comments yet, be the first!

Enter the words above: Enter the numbers you hear:

All comments are subject to approval before appearing

Further reading

Features & Analysis
Petroleum producers shift attention from Middle East: Kemp

Petroleum producers shift attention from Middle East: Kemp

Following four decades of war, sanctions, nationalisation and...

Back in business

Back in business

Iran’s tankers are back on the oceans as sanctions on the Islamic...

A new future for Saudi Arabia?

A new future for Saudi Arabia?

The vast Wadd Al Shimal phosphate mine in the north of Saudi...

Most Discussed
  • 15
    Baby NOT on board?

    The people commenting here were all 20 years old when they were born, never cried, never screamed and never ran etc etc.
    more

    Thursday, 21 August 2014 8:30 AM - Amer
  • 7
    Belgium diplomat arrested for pulling veil from Qatari princess

    If its illegal to dress in a certain way why didnt the police do something about it.

    Whereever the Europeans go, they demand that society conforms... more

    Thursday, 21 August 2014 8:37 PM - Ghazi
  • 7
    CEO of Just Falafel to step down

    Just Falafel was a disaster waiting to happen. The food isn't even that good and the focus wasn't on building the brand and operations. Instead they focused... more

    Thursday, 21 August 2014 8:37 PM - milad
  • 23
    World's most pierced man refused entry to the UAE

    Tolerance has its limits everywhere including Dubai and those who considered Dubai a lawless circus were held accountable...so thank you Dubai authorities... more

    Thursday, 21 August 2014 10:51 PM - Khalil
  • 17
    UK looks to close tax loophole on expat landlords

    UK taxes too much and too complicated and time taking and confusing and continuous. Returns, lawyers, HMRC, taxes too much for too little. Not worth the... more

    Sunday, 17 August 2014 12:40 PM - AbdolRahman
  • 15
    Baby NOT on board?

    The people commenting here were all 20 years old when they were born, never cried, never screamed and never ran etc etc.
    more

    Thursday, 21 August 2014 8:30 AM - Amer