Muslim US solider Nidal Hasan, who was convicted of the Fort Hood shooting rampage in 2009, has had his beard forcibly shaven.
Hasan, a former army psychiatrist, began growing a beard after the November 2009 shooting that killed 13 and wounded 30, causing delays to his trial due to defence force grooming regulations.
In a statement on Tuesday, army spokesman Lieutenant Colonel S Justin Platt said Hasan’s beard had been forcibly shaven.
The original judge in Hasan’s military trial ordered he be clean shaven or forcibly shaven before his trial.
Hasan said he grew the beard because his Muslim faith required it and was not meant as a show of disrespect, The Guardian reported.
He appealed, leading to the judge being ousted and the trial delayed by three months. The appeals court ruled the judge did not appear impartial and that the army, not a judge, was responsible for enforcing military grooming standards, the paper said.
The replacement judge, Colonel Tara Osborn allowed Hasan to keep the beard during the trial. She said she would not hold the breach of grooming regulations against him but the military jurors might.
Hasan, a 42-year old American, was convicted of the shootings and sentenced to death and is now on military death row.