1 of 11
There are actually foods you can eat that get your metabolism turbocharged, trigger fat releasing hormones, and eliminate toxins that deter any weight loss efforts. If you’ve hit a plateau on your scale or simply feel like fine tuning your waistline, then incorporate the fat fighting benefits of the following food sourcesin your daily diet.
2 of 11
1. Hot spices: Capsaicin, the bioactive compound that gives chili peppers their heat, revs up your metabolism, raises your body temperature and curbs your appetite. You can get it by eating raw, cooked, dried, or powdered peppers. Start your day by adding half a teaspoon of turmeric and a pinch of paprika to your cup of water. You’ll be combining the metabolism boosting benefits with the anti-inflammatory and brain charging effects of turmeric.
3 of 11
2. Greek yogurt and lemon: If the paprika and turmeric concoction did not tickle your taste buds, this zesty duo certainly will. The vitamin C in the lemon will help absorb the metabolism boosting calcium in your body.
4 of 11
3. Vinegar: Add vinegar to your lunch salad to slow down carb absorption and keep you full for longer. In addition to getting a flavour punch in your salad without the added calories, researchers found that the polyphenols in balsamic vinegar limited the ability of LDL cholesterol to oxidize. Vinegar also creates an environment that aids your body in repairing and building cells.
5 of 11
4. Lentils: There’s no end to the health repertoire of lentils. In addition to being a top source of Iron Folic acid, zinc, magnesium, vitamin B6, protein and fibre, they are also low in calories and contain virtually no fat. One cup of cooked lentils only contains about 230 calories, but still leaves you feeling full and satisfied. Lentils also stop your body from breaking carbohydrates into sugar and storing them as fat.
6 of 11
5. Wild Salmon: Consuming wild salmon on a regular basis helps strip away stubborn abdominal fat. Salmon is credited for activating your thyroid hormone into a faster metabolism and it’s a rich source of Omega-3. This essential fatty acid is necessary for your health and must be included in your diet because the human body cannot manufacture it on its own. It improves insulin sensitivity, which shrinks fat from your waistline and tightens your skin. Sprinkle some oregano, crushed walnuts and flax seeds on your grilled or smoke wild salmon for your complete daily dose of Omega-3.
7 of 11
6. Ginger: Slice fresh ginger into your stir fry veggies, homemade miso soup, or daily cup of tea. Ginger is chalk-full of dietary benefits, including aiding digestion and increasing your metabolic rate up to 20 percent.
8 of 11
7. Cacao Nibs: Chocolate lovers, rejoice. This unsweetened, raw material that chocolate is made of is full of anti-inflammatory polyphenols and flavonoids that blast fat without the unwanted sugars and additives in candy. Their taste is quite intense at first, but they certainly feed that little chocolate monster inside.
9 of 11
9. Brazil Nuts: These little fat burners are quite filling and help boost your metabolism. Snack on them throughout the workday and they will convert your thyroid hormone into its active form. Brazil nuts also help prevent cellulite and reduce its appearance by binding toxins and preventing them from storage in your fat cells.
10 of 11
8. Cinnamon: For a metabolism boosting dessert, add cinnamon to your melted cacao nibs and dip cherries in the mixture. Freeze the chocolate coated cherries for a skinny solution to sugar cravings. A cup of these icy treats are just 140 calories, and because they're frozen and take a while to eat, you'll stretch out your snack time.
11 of 11
10. Coffee: Coffee, as well as green tea, black tea, oolong and white tea, stimulates adrenaline, which sends a message to your body to burn fat. The key is to not add milk as it reduces the fat-burning potential. Also, if you drink more than one cup a day, coffee can start to interfere with your body's ability to regulate insulin.