Qatar Holding eyes luxury Sardinia assets

  • Share via facebook
  • Tweet this
  • Bookmark and Share
Smeralda Holding assets on include four five-star hotels, a golf club and a marina with 700 yacht berths.

Smeralda Holding assets on include four five-star hotels, a golf club and a marina with 700 yacht berths.

Qatar’s sovereign wealth fund is set to acquire a number of five-star hotels and a golf club on the Italian island of Sardinia, it has been reported.

According to Italian media, Qatar Holding will purchase Smeralda Holding, whose assets on the island include four five-star hotels, the world-class Pevero Golf Club and a marina with 700 yacht berths.

The assets are currently held by US property magnate Tom Barrack, whose Colony Capital fund acquired Smeralda for a reported €290m (US$380m) in 2003.

This would not be the first time government-backed Qatari investors have purchased high value assets from Colony.

Qatar Investment Authority, another fund in the gas-rich Gulf state, acquired a 70 percent stake in French top tier football team Paris St Germain from Colony in May 2011, before buying up the remaining 30 percent in March this year.

The sale to Qatar Holding, whose assets in Europe already include London’s Harrods store, would see the Gulf state fund pay off Smeralda Holding’s reported €200m of debt, reports stated.

Qatari investors have been busy snapping up assets in Europe of late, with properties including London’s Shard skyscraper, One Hyde Park and Chelsea Barracks all currently part-owned by investors from the Gulf state.

Related:
Companies
Join the Discussion

Disclaimer:The view expressed here by our readers are not necessarily shared by Arabian Business, its employees, sponsors or its advertisers.

Please post responsibly. Commenter Rules

  • No comments yet, be the first!

Enter the words above: Enter the numbers you hear:

All comments are subject to approval before appearing

Further reading

Features & Analysis
Over half of suppliers asked for bribes by hotel managers - survey

Over half of suppliers asked for bribes by hotel managers - survey

Nearly three quarters of suppliers said they know of other firms...

3
The new RNB stars

The new RNB stars

How Jason Myers, Gert Kopera and Christian Gradnitzer plan to...

100-year anniversary of commercial passenger aviation

100-year anniversary of commercial passenger aviation

On New Year’s Day 1914, the first paying aeroplane passenger...

Most Discussed
  • 54
    Three UAE women attacked with hammer at London hotel

    I really feel that Arabian Business.Com should now close this comments page. This should be all about sympathy for the families not what it is/has turned... more

    Wednesday, 16 April 2014 1:06 PM - Adrienne
  • 51
    Why Dubai isn't a plastic city

    What is definitely not a plastic city. The Arabs have a culture dating back to several centuries. 50 years back Dubai was just a fishing village. Today... more

    Tuesday, 8 April 2014 3:49 PM - P. MADHUSUDAN
  • 48
    DMCC boss Ahmed Bin Sulayem entertains Robert Mugabe in Dubai

    @fga ''However today, simply because he decided to dispossess a few white farmers of their land and redistribute to the poorer indigenous blacks'' more

    Sunday, 13 April 2014 3:02 PM - Matt Williams