Rich List 2010: facts, figures and fortunes
The stats behind the super-rich, as revealed by the Arabian Business Rich List 2010
The wealth of the top 10 in 2010 amounts to just shy of $100bn, a 16 percent rise on last year
- The world’s 50 richest Arabs are worth a total of just over $245bn. This represents an 18 percent increase on the same figure just over a year ago.
- Saudi Arabia has more Rich List entries than any other Arab state, with a giant $169.68bn spread across 32 players. Coming in second is Kuwait, whose four entries represent $22.1bn. In third place is the UAE, the Gulf's second largest economy, with $20.21bn across four entries.
- Saudi also accounted for more new entries than any other country, with 20 of our 24 new faces calling the kingdom home.
- Topping the list for the seventh year running is Kingdom Holding chairman Prince Alwaleed, whose wealth rose 13.3 percent to $20.4bn. In the No.2 slot is fellow Saudi Mohamed Bin Issa Al Jaber, who increased his wealth from $9.7bn to $12bn.
- The average wealth of those on the list is $5.3bn.
- Saudi's Olayan family is the biggest gainers in this year's Rich List, adding a massive $5bn to its fortune over the past twelve months. It's enough to push the family up five places to the No.3 spot in the 2010 rankings.
- The highest climber in the Rich List 2010 is the Bukhamseen family, which jumped from 47th to 25 by after seeing its wealth rise from $1.7bn to $4bn.
- Over half - 58 percent - of the entrants made their money in one way or another through construction, and a quarter can rightly call themselves titans of retail.
- The wealth of the top 10 in 2010 amounts to just shy of $100bn, a 16 percent rise on last year. The level for entry has also got higher- this year's No.50, Mohammed Alesayi, boasts a $1.7bn fortune; $200m more than his predecessors, the Alghanim family, in 2009.
- The title of highest new entry goes to Saudi Arabia's Bugshan family, in at No.8 with $7bn.
- Twenty-four of last year’s names have not made the list this year, including Kuwait’s Alghanim family and Saudi's Bin Mahfouz clan.
To read the full Arabian Business Rich List 2010, click here
For all the latest business news from the UAE and Gulf countries, follow us on Twitter and Linkedin, like us on Facebook and subscribe to our YouTube page, which is updated daily.
Last Updated: Sat 28 Jan 2017 03:18 PM GST
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Subscribe to Arabian Business' newsletter to receive the latest breaking news and business stories in Dubai,the UAE and the GCC straight to your inbox.