Bahrain’s Ministry of Interior (MOI) announced on Sunday three suspects had been arrested in connection with the terrorist explosion which took place near the Mosque of Sheikh Isa bin Salman in the Al Riffa West area of the island last week.
The three suspects have been referred to the Public Prosecution, the Bahrain News Agency added.
The car bomb exploded outside a Sunni Muslim mosque as worshippers attended late-night prayers in a district where members of Bahrain's royal family live, the Interior Ministry said on Thursday.
No one was reported hurt in the attack in Riffa south of the capital Manama late on Wednesday, in what government officials said was an attempt to inflame sectarian tensions.
Bahrain, a majority Shi'ite country but ruled by the Sunni Al Khalifa family, has been buffeted by political unrest since 2011, with mostly Shi'ite Bahrainis agitating for democratic reforms and more say in government.
Assailants used a gas cylinder placed inside a vehicle parked outside the mosque, the Interior Ministry said.
Witnesses said several vehicles were destroyed in the explosion but there were no reports of injuries.
The attack was condemned by the main Shi'ite opposition group, Wefaq, as well as government officials including King Hamad bin Issa Al Khalifa.
Earlier, the Secretary-General of the Arab League Dr Nabil Al-Arabi condemned the brutal terrorist attack which took place in Bahrain last week.
The Arab League Chief said that conducting such a heinous terrorist act during the holy month of Ramadan aims to disrupt security, spread violence and terrorise worshippers while they were performing their prayers.
Dr Al-Arabi called on authorities to “take the necessary procedures in order to arrest the perpetrators and bring them to justice, so as to safeguard the kingdom's security and stability.”
Subscribe to Arabian Business' newsletter to receive the latest breaking news and business stories in Dubai,the UAE and the GCC straight to your inbox.