Former world No.1 had been invited to appear at the Commercial Bank Qatar Masters
Qatar has scrapped plans to bring former world number one golfer Tiger Woods to the Gulf state after it deemed his US$3m appearance fee too expensive, the president of the Qatar Golf Association told reporters on Wednesday.
US star Woods was invited to compete in the Commercial Bank Qatar Masters, which takes place at the Doha Golf Club from January 23 to 26, but organisers deemed his appearance fee to be too high.
“Tiger Woods demands US$3m just for an appearance, if he were to compete in the Commercial Bank Qatar Masters - which is not worth paying for a tournament of US$2.5m prize money,” Hassan Al Nuaimi, president of the Qatar Golf Association, said at a press conference, Doha News reported.
While Woods will miss the Qatar event, he has been confirmed to appear at the eighth annual Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship, which takes place at the Abu Dhabi Golf Club from January 17 to 20 and has a prize purse of US$2.7m. Both events are part of the European PGA tour schedule.