Universal shuts down filming of Fast & Furious 7

Studio announces that production will halt indefinitely in Abu Dhabi, US after death of Paul Walker

Universal Pictures has shut down production on "Fast & Furious 7" indefinitely following the death of its star, Paul Walker.

The studio announced that the film will shut down "for a period of time so we can assess all options available to move forward with the franchise".

Approximately 80 to 120 cast and crew, including star actors Vin Diesel and Walker, were due to arrive in Abu Dhabi to film scenes at some of Abu Dhabi’s iconic landmarks.

The seventh installment of the street car racing series had begun shooting in September including some work in the UAE capital.

"Right now, all of us at Universal are dedicated to providing support to Paul's immediate family and our extended 'Fast & Furious' family of cast, crew and filmmakers," the studio said in a statement.

Forty-year old Walker died after the driver of the Porsche he was travelling back from a charity event in lost control and hit a lamppost.

When Walker died in the crash on Saturday north of Los Angeles, the film was on break for the Thanksgiving holiday.

Universal had been trying to fast-track "Fast & Furious 7" for a July 11 release, a date that's likely to be postponed. Universal hasn't yet announced any release date change.

Join the Discussion

Disclaimer:The view expressed here by our readers are not necessarily shared by Arabian Business, its employees, sponsors or its advertisers.

Please post responsibly. Commenter Rules

  • No comments yet, be the first!

All comments are subject to approval before appearing

More from Arabian Business

Saudi regulator says cyber attacks target several websites

Why MENA stock markets are likely to shine in 2017

Prince Khaled's KBW inks deal to develop projects in Sharjah

Glad to see Obama go, Gulf Arabs expect Trump to counter Iran

Careem founders say targeting IPO within three years

The sound of success: Andreas Sennheiser