A. Lange & Söhne (more commonly referred to as simply 'Lange') was founded in 1845 by Ferdinand Adolph Lange in the town of Glashutte, near Dresden in Saxony. Following his death, Ferdinand's two sons – Emil and Richard – produced quality pocket watches. Subsequent generations of the family would continue producing watches right up until World War II. In 1948, under a post-war Soviet administration, the company's property was expropriated by the state and Lange ceased to exist.
However, in December 1990 – following the collapse of Easy Germany – the founder's great-grandson Walter Lange, along with watch industry executive Günter Blümlein, restored the company with the assistance of several Swiss watch manufacturers, including IWC and Jaeger-LeCoultre. Today, Lange is part of Richemont Group, and once again operates from Glashütte.
(Source: CEO Middle East YouTube channel)