Consumerism, pressure, competition and high expectations turn the festive period into a stressful and unpleasant time of the year, according to Dubai-based psychiatrist Dr Walid Abdul-Hamid at Priory Wellbeing Centre.
This causes many to feel depressed, insecure and unhappy. To help people relax and find the pleasure in holidays again, Dr Abdul-Hamid recommends the following tips:
- Remove yourself from stressful situations or potential conflict. If needed, go for a walk somewhere with fresh air and take some time to clear your head.
- Be ‘mindful’ of your body. Learning how to relax is an important and helpful tool to deal with stress. Take one minute out periodically during the day to just close your eyes and breathe deeply, while focusing solely on breathing.
- Manage expectations when returning home. Try not to put too much pressure on yourself or others.
- Try meditating. Take five minutes every day just for yourself to sit in silence and do nothing.
- Manage your time effectively. Take the stress and worry out of visiting friends and family by devising and sticking to a schedule.