By Andy Sambidge
First phase of mega project slated for completion in 2014, says project chief.
The first phase of a $4.4 billion deep water port in Qatar is scheduled for completion in 2014, a senior official associated with the project has said.
Craig Holland, vice-president of Aecom, the programme and construction manager for the New Doha Port Project in Mesaieed, said construction activities on site would be seen in 2011.
“We are working towards completing the first phase of the new Mesaieed port by 2014,” he said in comments published by Qatar daily Gulf Times on Thursday.
The first and final phase is due to be finished in 2030 at which point the port, spread over 20 square kilometres, would be equipped to handle the world’s largest ships, each laden with up to 12,000 containers.
Asked whether the global slowdown would have an impact on the project, Holland told the paper: “Nothing has been indicated to me so far. I think we need to see the potential of the project when it is ready for take off. By the time we complete the New Doha Port Project, it would be a big asset to Qatar.”
The new port is being designed to meet Qatar’s requirements “well beyond 2030”, he added saying it is expected to be a key driver of the national economy, contributing significantly to the GDP.