Font Size

- Aa +

Wed 17 Feb 2010 05:33 PM

Font Size

- Aa +

‘70% of Dubai hospitals to be private’ – DHA chief

Just 30 percent of Dubai’s hospitals to be public sector within five years.

Less than a third of hospitals in Dubai will be under government control by 2015, the head of the emirate’s health authority said Wednesday.

Qadhi Al Murooshid, director general of Dubai Health Authority, said just 30 percent of Dubai’s hospitals will be public sector within five years, as private players are pushed to shoulder more of the emirate’s healthcare burden.

“Our aim is by 2015 that DHA should own and operate only 30 percent of the hospitals and that the private sector will operate the remaining 70 percent,” he said, speaking at the relaunch of Rashid Hospital’s psychiatric ward.

Around 57 percent of Dubai’s hospitals and 54 percent of its outpatient facilities are privately owned, he added.

The DHA currently has three hospitals and a string of outpatient care centres under construction, part of an AED3.67bn upgrade of medical services in Dubai. The projects, which include a 200-bed paediatric hospital, an emergency hospital and a rehabilitation centre for the elderly, will bolster bed space by around a third, adding 600 beds in the next two years.

Private sector projects are expected to add another 500, Al Murooshid said.

“The DHA will focus on specialised healthcare services such as developing trauma and emergency care [and] specialised healthcare services and will work with the private sector to support them in cases where the investment they need to undertake is huge,” he said.

The agency is also expected to open three primary healthcare centres this year.

The DHA has been at the forefront of measures to introduce compulsory health insurance for foreign workers in Dubai. The plan, which followed the roll-out of mandatory insurance in Abu Dhabi, was expected to be introduced last year, and would offer basic healthcare services to blue-collar workers.

However the DHA suspended the scheme amid the credit crunch and has failed to announce a new timeline.

For all the latest health tips & news from the UAE and Gulf countries, follow us on Twitter and Linkedin, like us on Facebook and subscribe to our YouTube page, which is updated daily.
dxb 10 years ago

We are still waiting to force Dubai companies to issue health insurance for their staff such as what is already done in Abu Dhabi before 2 years