We noticed you're blocking ads.

Keep supporting great journalism by turning off your ad blocker.

Questions about why you are seeing this? Contact us

Font Size

- Aa +

Thu 30 Dec 2010 04:56 PM

Font Size

- Aa +

‘The World’ celebrity New Year’s Eve party scrapped

Monte Carlo bash pushed back a year as construction delays hamper progress on offshore islands

‘The World’ celebrity New Year’s Eve party scrapped
The World, Nakheel
‘The World’ celebrity New Year’s Eve party scrapped
PARTY TIME: Kleindienst had planned to invite A-list celebrities to celebrate New Year its Monte Carlo island
‘The World’ celebrity New Year’s Eve party scrapped
An aerial view shows the cluster of man-made islands known as The World

A star-studded New Year’s Eve bash scheduled to take place on a self-styled ‘party island’ on Dubai’s offshore World development has been scrapped, its organisers have said.

The Monte Carlo island was to be unveiled with a celebrity-filled party on December 31, but its launch has now been moved back a year to 2011.

“I can confirm that the New Year’s Eve party originally planned on Monte Carlo Island… has been re-scheduled to 2011,” Josef Kleindienst, CEO of Austria's Kleindienst Group, which owns the island, told Arabian Business on Thursday.

“While I am disappointed that, due to circumstances beyond our control, we will not celebrate this year’s New Year on one of our islands, I am also pragmatic about the situation.”

Construction on the offshore World development has ground to a virtual standstill in the wake of the economic downturn. Many buyers on the Nakheel-backed chain of islands have failed to begin work, after Dubai’s real estate market saw prices fall 60 percent from their peak.

Monte Carlo is one of six islands owned by Kleindienst, which together form the $840m Heart of Europe project. The project is to include housing, hotels and a replica of a European city center.

The 415,000 sq ft Monte Carlo island had been billed as an adults-only party island, featuring a beach and pool club, nightclub and bars.

Around 800 people were expected to attend the launch party, Kleindienst told Arabian Business earlier this year, including “very famous people”.

“We remain committed to our development,” he said in the statement. “We know we will be celebrating many more New Years on our islands, and the best things are always worth waiting for.”

 

Arabian Business: why we're going behind a paywall

Real news, real analysis and real insight have real value – especially at a time like this. Unlimited access ArabianBusiness.com can be unlocked for as little as $4.75 per month. Click here for more details.
George 9 years ago

Sounds like a kind of residency tax to me?

George 9 years ago

You will be celebrating many more New Years on your islands, but with no infrastructure, transport or construction underway you won't be selling many tickets for the parties for a while.

That's if the tides doesn't wash your islands away in the meantime.