By Lubna Hamdan
Your guide to getting the perfect tan
Putting aside the hot car seats, hair frizz, and sweat, there’s one great thing about summer: getting a tan.
No matter how hot it gets, it’s always nice to lay by the pool and get some color. Nevertheless, pre-cautions and preparations are crucial for guaranteeing a pool day out remains a good one.
Several factors like dehydration, hair damage, and a sunburn could cause immeasurable damage.
So for those of you who want to get a tan under the sun, and for those who want to get a tan sunless, here’s your complete guide to the perfect (and safe) tan.
1. Scrub scrub scrub: Whether you’re sun tanning or self-tanning, you will need to scrub your skin first. This will get rid of dead skin and stimulate blood circulation to produce a more even-toned color. For a product, Boots Exfoliating Scrub in Coconut and Hibiscus is Arabian Business’ recommendation. For a natural tactic, make your own scrub at home by mixing salt, olive oil, and honey. You could also mix grounded coffee, yogurt, and olive oil. For the best results, sit in a hot shower or sauna for 30 minutes and then start gently scrubbing your skin. The heat will eliminate the toxins in your skin and open your pores, making it easier for the scrub to remove excess dirt and dead skin.
2. Spray some water on it: If you’re opting to tan outside, it’s always a good idea to bring along water spray. Evian have pure water in mini bottles perfect for the beach and pool. Alternatively, you could buy an empty spray bottle from the supermarket and simply fill it with water. Spray the water on your skin and all over your body. This will prevent you from getting dehydrated and help you feel refreshed. It will also help you tan faster as water is known to reflect sun rays and enhance tanning speed.
3. Use a professional sunscreen brand: Many a people grab any sunscreen they find on the supermarket shelf and think they’re good to go. But health experts recommend using professional sunscreen brands as they’re specialized in the field. Lancaster is one of those brands. Lancaster Comfort Touch Cream has a high SPF of 50 and is known for its “weightless texture.” Another brand that makes great sunscreen is Clarins. The Clarins Sun Wrinkle Control Cream for Face is, as its name refers, made especially for the visage. Its ingredients are a combination of senna, pea, plane tree, olive tree and baobab extract; all of which protect epidermal cells from sun stress.
4. To the men who don’t like to use sunscreen: For you, and you know yourselves, Neutrogena’s Ultimate Sport Sunscreen Spray has a light texture that doesn’t feel oily. It’s a spray, so it’s fast to use, and it has an SPF of over 100, so you don’t have to keep re-applying it a lot. It also works best for athletes, as it’s sweat resistant and made with a special focus on sporty consumers.
5. For the tanning oil lovers: Sunscreen is the best option to stay safe under the sun. But for those who prefer tanning oil, Lancaster’s Dry Oil Fast Tan Optimizer is an ideal substitute. Though it has an SPF50, it’s made to help accelerate your tan. In addition, it was manufactured for skin types that burn easily and tan slowly. This makes it suitable for everyone who wants a golden tan; a shade it promises to deliver.
6. DIY: If sun tanning is not your thing, Clinique’s Self-Sun Body Tinted Lotion will give you the same effect as a real tan, or even better. It produces a caramel-shade, shows instantly, is odor-free, dries quickly, and lasts a good few hours.
7. Hair protection: Though most of us forget about our hair, we shouldn’t. It might not be as prone to sun damage as skin, but it is disposed to to it nevertheless. This L’oreal Elvive Extraordinary hair oil has a number of benefits. It protects hair from heat, eliminates its frizz, and gives it shine. In fact, it gives hair a soothing texture that often gets abolished by salt water and chlorine.
8. Your lips are protected: with EOS lip balm. Known as one of the few lip balms that actually work, EOS is packed with vitamin E, shea butter, and jojoba oil. It’s guaranteed to keep your lips moisture and chap-free during beach season. It’s also Paraben free. In Dubai, it’s available at Sephora stores and online at souq.com
9. Sunburn soothing: Another product from Clinique is its After-sun Rescue Balm with Aloe Vera. It was rated by many as the best one of its kind to soothe a sunburn. If you want a natural sunburn soother, go for cold yogurt. You have to use it after an hour maximum of your sunburn, but it will work miracles. It will get rid of sunburn itch and redness.
10. Celebrity legs: Celebrities always seem to have shiny, shimmery legs. Through Clarins’ After Sun Shimmer Oil, we discovered how. Aside from giving you shiny, shimmery (but not too shimmery) legs, Clarins’ oil prolongs your tan and gives your skin a pleasant floral smell.
For all the latest fashion trends from the UAE and Gulf countries, follow us on Twitter and Linkedin, like us on Facebook and subscribe to our YouTube page, which is updated daily.