The Philippine government has repatriated 15 more Filipinos from the strife-torn Libya, a ranking official reported Wednesday.
"This is so far the biggest number of Filipinos to be repatriated by the Philippine Embassy in Libya, the DFA, and the Department of Labor and Employment since the current crisis in Tripoli erupted almost two months ago. The repatriates will arrive in Manila from Tunis via Dubai on Thursday," Chargé d’ Affaires Elmer Cato said.
The official said the latest batch, which includes five minors and two Islamic scholars, brings to 70 the total number of Filipinos repatriated from the Libyan capital since the conflict between forces of the United Nations-backed government, led by Prime Minister Fayez al-Sarraj, and the Libyan National Army (LNA) led by Khalifa Haftar started in April 2019.
In an update, Cato said, "heavy fighting continues to rage in the outskirts of Tripoli". The Embassy, on the other hand, continues to urge Filipinos in the capital and nearby areas to avail of the repatriation program offered by the Philippine government.
Crisis alert level 4 or forced repatriation phase remains in effect in Tripoli and nearby areas.
According to the latest report of the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, at least 82,300 people have been internally displaced due to the ongoing hostilities while 135 civilian casualties were confirmed. (PNA)
Subscribe to Arabian Business' newsletter to receive the latest breaking news and business stories in Dubai,the UAE and the GCC straight to your inbox.