The UAE said on Monday it has filed a formal complaint with the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) following repeated incidents where Qatari fighter jets intercepted Emirati civilian aircraft.
Saif Mohammed Al Suwaidi, director-general of the General Civil Aviation Authority (GCAA) said in comments published by state news agency WAM that the UAE had filed a detailed complaint as per Article No. 54 of the Chicago Convention, which takes into account the national interests of member states of the ICAO.
"These aggressive actions by Qatar against UAE civilian aircrafts are considered as deliberate violations of international covenants and conventions governing civil aviation and are a threat to the safety of civil aviation. The UAE outright rejects these acts," he was quoted as saying.
Al Suwaidi said that the "provocations are unjustified", adding that they placed the safety of passengers and crew members at heightened risk.
The GCAA director-general said that the ICAO would later determine the date in which parties will investigate the complaint.
Qatari fighter jets approached two UAE civilian aircrafts during scheduled routine flights last week.
In January, a similar incident occurred where Qatari military aircraft intercepted two other civilian planes, threatening the safety of passengers and crew, and violating international laws and conventions, WAM said.For all the latest transport news from the UAE and Gulf countries, follow us on Twitter and Linkedin, like us on Facebook and subscribe to our YouTube page, which is updated daily.
Subscribe to Arabian Business' newsletter to receive the latest breaking news and business stories in Dubai,the UAE and the GCC straight to your inbox.