We noticed you're blocking ads.

Keep supporting great journalism by turning off your ad blocker.

Questions about why you are seeing this? Contact us

Font Size

- Aa +

Wed 17 Nov 2010 05:01 PM

Font Size

- Aa +

Asian Olympic chief backs Qatar 2022 bid amid bribe claims

Sheikh Ahmad Al Fahad Al Sabah says Gulf state is not guilty of vote-trading pacts, will win bid

Asian Olympic chief backs Qatar 2022 bid amid bribe claims
BUILDING STADIUMS: Qatar plans to spend $4bn to build nine stadiums and upgrade three in its bid to stage the 2022 FIFA World Cup.
Asian Olympic chief backs Qatar 2022 bid amid bribe claims
Qatar 2022 Bid Chairman H E Sheikh Mohammed bin Khalifa Al Thani welcomes chief FIFA inspector Harold Mayne-Nicholls to Qatar ahead of the agencys three day inspection.

Asia’s Olympic leader has thrown his weight behind Qatar’s 2022 World Cup attempt amid allegations of vote collusion among bidders.

Ahead of the first day of an ethics hearing in Zurich to determine whether members of FIFA’s executive committee are guilty of accepting bribes, Sheikh Ahmad Al-Fahad Al-Sabah said he had full confidence in the Gulf state.

"Yes. I still believe. I wish Qatar will have the games," Sheikh Ahmad, a Kuwaiti, said in comments quoted by Associated Press at the Asian Games in Guangzhou, southern China.

"Still, Qatar will have the highest votes for the first round. I believe this."

Qatar is bidding for the 2022 World Cup, alongside the United States, Australia, Japan and South Korea.

FIFA's ethics panel is holding a three-day hearing to determine whether two voters and at least two candidates should be barred from the 2018 and 2022 World Cup bidding contests for alleged corruption.

The move follows allegations by the Sunday Times newspaper last month, which published secretly filmed interviews with FIFA officials that suggested voters could be bribed and that bidders were striking vote-trading pacts.

 Reynald Temarii of Tahiti and Nigeria's Amos Adamu have since been suspended from the 24-man executive committee. FIFA has not identified which of the nine bidders it is investigating.

Sheikh Ahmad said he was confident that Qatar's bid team would be cleared.

"Until now there's no evidence. Until now there's no result," he said. "But in the end it will be a big competition between all the bidding countries for the World Cup."

FIFA's executive committee is due to select the hosts in a secret ballot on December 2.

 

Arabian Business: why we're going behind a paywall

For all the latest sports news from the UAE and Gulf countries, follow us on Twitter and Linkedin, like us on Facebook and subscribe to our YouTube page, which is updated daily.
Real news, real analysis and real insight have real value – especially at a time like this. Unlimited access ArabianBusiness.com can be unlocked for as little as $4.75 per month. Click here for more details.