We noticed you're blocking ads.

Keep supporting great journalism by turning off your ad blocker.

Questions about why you are seeing this? Contact us

Font Size

- Aa +

Wed 3 Sep 2014 12:25 PM

Font Size

- Aa +

Australian Prime Minister doesn't rule out boots on ground in Iraq

Tony Abbott's comments come amid a growing confrontation with radical Islamists who have seized large swaths of Iraq and Syria

Australian Prime Minister doesn't rule out boots on ground in Iraq
Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott. (Getty Images)

Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott on Wednesday declined to rule out sending combat troops to support US air strikes in Iraq, amid a growing confrontation with radical Islamists who have seized large swaths of that country and neighbouring Syria.

Abbott was asked by a journalist whether "boots on the ground" were needed to push back the ISIL militant group, which on Tuesday released a video purporting to show the beheading of a second American journalist, Steven Sotloff.

"Many countries are talking to one another about what is the best way forward here but plainly ISIL is a threat not just to the people of the Middle East, but to the wider world," he said, using an acronym for the Sunni militant group.

"This is a conflict which we understandably wish to avoid, but it is a conflict which sadly, is reaching out to us, as we have seen."

The United States resumed air strikes in Iraq in August for the first time since the pullout of US troops from the country in 2011.

The raids followed major gains by ISIL, which has declared an Islamic Caliphate in areas it controls in Syria and Iraq.

Although Australia is not a NATO member, its troops fought alongside the coalition in Iraq and Afghanistan, and it is expected to accept formal membership in the coalition's Enhanced Partnership Program at a summit later this week.

Australia has also joined a multinational relief effort, dropping military equipment and aid to Kurdish forces fighting ISIL militants in northern Iraq, and Abbott has previously refused to rule out participating in air strikes.

Former US Assistant Secretary of State Christopher Hill, who served as ambassador to Iraq from 2009-2010, said the beheading of Sotloff should be a wake-up call to the world and that only a military solution was realistic at this point.

"I think a military solution is being developed, needs to be developed. I don't see there's any negotiating with these people. I don't see there's anything that can be done with them diplomatically," he told Reuters in an interview.

"I know people have said things like that in the past and been proven wrong, but I mean, we are dealing with people who are really at the extreme edge. So, I think we need to work that through militarily."

Arabian Business: why we're going behind a paywall

Real news, real analysis and real insight have real value – especially at a time like this. Unlimited access ArabianBusiness.com can be unlocked for as little as $4.75 per month. Click here for more details.