By Andy Sambidge
General Command of the Bahrain Defence Force says curfew now reduced to six hours
Bahrain said on Wednesday that it was reducing further the curfew imposed on citizens, claiming the security situation was improving.
The General Command of the Bahrain Defence Force said in a statement that the curfew hours for selected areas in the capital city of Manama were being cut to just six hours.
Originally, Bahrain's military rulers imposed a 12 hour curfew which was cut to eight hours last week.
Now the curfew will run from 10pm to 4am until further notice, the statement said.
it added that the relaxation in the clampdown was "due to the improvement in security situation in the mentioned area".
Bahrain declared martial law on March 15 after troops from Saudi Arabia and the UAE arrived to help quell protests that have gripped the Gulf state for more than a month.
The army on March 19 demolished the 300ft monument on the Pearl Roundabout in Manama, which had become a focal point for protesters.
Bahrain's Prime Minister Prince Khalifa bin Salman Al Khalifa said on Monday that his country would emerge stronger from the uprisings.
He said the kingdom would "overcome the current circumstance" thanks to the wise leadership of King Hamad as well as the "resolve and patriotism of the Bahraini people".
"The kingdom will emerge stronger and more determined," he said in comments published by state news agency BNA.
The kingdom would overcome the current circumstance. The kingdom will emerge stronger and more determined.