By Andy Sambidge
Chairman Zayed Alzayani also says decision on whether 2012 race will go ahead 'not our call'
Bahrain's motor racing circuit chief has called F1 teams "temperamental", saying he was disappointed at how they turned their backs on the Bahrain Grand Prix this year.
In comments published by the UK's Evening Standard, Zayed Alzayani, the chairman of the Bahrain Grand Prix, conceded that he could not guarantee whether the kingdom would see an F1 race in 2012.
In an interview given at the British Grand Prix last weekend, he criticised F1 teams for refusing to race in Bahrain.
"They have been very temperamental. I feel disappointed because it cannot go within three months from one end of the spectrum 'Oh, you are my favourite destination' ... to the other 'We don't want to go to Bahrain'," he told the paper.
"There were a lot of complaints from the teams and sponsors and, at the end of the day, we withdrew," he said.
The International Automobile Federation (FIA) last month formally removed Bahrain off the 2011 Formula One calendar.
Bahrain was originally scheduled as the March 13 season-opener but the race at Sakhir circuit had to be postponed due to civil unrest in the Gulf kingdom.
The Sakhir track boss also criticised Red Bull's Australian driver Mark Webber, who voiced about the drivers' concerns about racing in Bahrain amid the political turmoil.
"Why Mark Webber went against Bahrain I don't know. They're going to the US next year. What about Guantanamo? Isn't that human rights violation? As Bernie told me, 'If human rights was the criterion for F1 races, we would only have them in Belgium and Switzerland in the future'."
Bahrain is provisionally scheduled to return to the very top of the 2012 calendar, but Alzayani told the paper: "I don't know when the race will be held next year. It's not our call."For all the latest sports news from the UAE and Gulf countries, follow us on Twitter and Linkedin, like us on Facebook and subscribe to our YouTube page, which is updated daily.