Ministry says it will temporarily reinstate 200 suspended during crackdown on anti-govt protests
Bahrain's health ministry has said it will sack 23 workers and temporarily reinstate 200 who were suspended during a crackdown on anti-government protests.
Preliminary findings of disciplinary committee looking into "staff violations" indicate 23 health ministry workers will lose their jobs, state news agency BNA reported.
It said the total number of people facing investigation was 428.
Two hundred employees will return to work next week pending the results of the investigations, on top of 115 who were re-hired in June and July, BNA said.
Their re-instatement is conditional on their pledging to follow all public sector laws and regulations.
Bahrain, which hosts the US Navy's Fifth Fleet, has been criticised for its handling of the protests. Fellow Sunni Arab monarchies sent troops to help suppress them in March.
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) said on Wednesday it was "extremely concerned" about events in Bahrain and mentioned the country in a report on attacks against health care workers and hospitals.
Last month the offices of medical charity Doctors Without Borders were raided by armed security personnel who confiscated medical equipment and supplies.
"We are extremely concerned about what is going on in Bahrain. We are doing our utmost to ensure we have access not only to hospitals but to detention centres," ICRC director-general Yves Daccord told a news briefing in Geneva on Wednesday.
I am not against the Bahrain government or its people but these are health care professionals going to prison seem excessive, how about house arrest or fines anything but prison just the thought of it makes me cringe.