We noticed you're blocking ads.

Keep supporting great journalism by turning off your ad blocker.

Questions about why you are seeing this? Contact us

Font Size

- Aa +

Sat 29 May 2004 04:00 AM

Font Size

- Aa +

Bahrain National Gas Company gives LPG facility contract to Foster Wheeler

Foster Wheeler has announced that its subsidiary Foster Wheeler Energy has been awarded a lucrative contract by the Bahrain National Gas Company (Banages).

Foster Wheeler has announced that its subsidiary Foster Wheeler Energy has been awarded a contract by the Bahrain National Gas Company (Banages) for front-end engineering design to revamp Banagas’ liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) facilities. The value of the contract has not yet been disclosed.

The facility will process 308 MMSCFD of associated sour gas with Arab gas and refinery offgas rich in LPG liquids. The present facilities process 280 MMSCFD of gas in two gas/condensate reception plants with associated gas treatment and LPG/naphtha export facilities, located at the Bahrain oil field, south of Awali, and refrigerated product storage and loading areas at Sitra, 15 km south of Manama, Bahrain’s capital.

“The award of this contract by Banagas reflects Foster Wheeler’s extensive experience in sour gas/condensate handling and LPG treatment. We are pleased to assist Banagas in the development of Bahrain’s oil and gas industry,” said Ian Bill, chairman and chief executive, Foster Wheeler Energy. “This builds on the good relationship that we have already established with the Bahrain Petroleum (BAPCO) refinery, part of the same group of companies as Banagas.”

Foster Wheeler will undertake the front-end engineering design for the revamp of process units at both of the central gas plants, the refrigerated product storage area and export facilities at Sitra, including the transfer pipelines. This may involve the use of new technology and the potential upgrade of the lean oil system at the central gas plants.

The LPG products and naphtha are exported under existing marketing agreements. The naphtha is routed via the BAPCO refinery and the residue gas, mainly methane and ethane, is routed to Aluminium Bahrain (ALBA), the Bapco refinery and the Riffa power station.

Banages is 75% owned by the Government of Bahrain with the remaining 25% equally owned by the Arab Petroleum Investment Corporation and Caltex Bahrain.

Arabian Business: why we're going behind a paywall

For all the latest business news from the UAE and Gulf countries, follow us on Twitter and Linkedin, like us on Facebook and subscribe to our YouTube page, which is updated daily.

Read next