Bahrain accused a prominent activist on Monday of publishing fabricated
images on the Internet and summoned him for questioning in an ongoing crackdown
following protests the state put down by force.
The official Bahrain News
Agency (BNA) said Nabeel Rajab, head of the Bahrain Centre for Human Rights,
had published doctored images with links to social media site Twitter of one of
two men who died at a detention centre on Saturday.
"The deputy adviser for legal affairs at the interior ministry
announced that Nabeel Rajab published false images on social media site Twitter
of Ahmed Isa Sager," BNA said.
The opposition has said it suspects Sager died from the effects of torture
in detention. Bahrain's government denies any torture but says all such
accusations will be investigated.
"The adviser said that the images published were different to those
taken of the deceased with the knowledge of the coroner after death," BNA
said, adding Rajab's case would be transferred to military prosecutors. It did
not say how the pictures were different or the significance of the differences.
Rajab, who has not been questioned yet, said on Twitter he had not
fabricated any images.
"All this effort to strike at my credibility because the number of
followers I have on Twitter and Facebook is more than the viewers of Bahrain
TV," he wrote early on Sunday.
Bahrain saw the worst sectarian clashes since the 1990s last month after
mostly Shi'ite protesters, emboldened by uprisings in Tunisia and Egypt, took
to the streets urging democratic reform, though some radicals called for the
overthrow of the monarchy.
Weeks of protests prompted the government to impose martial law and invite
in troops from neighbours such as Saudi Arabia and the UAE.
Subscribe to Arabian Business' newsletter to receive the latest breaking news and business stories in Dubai,the UAE and the GCC straight to your inbox.