Four arrested in Qatar on suspicion of targeting Bahrain, Saudi in series of armed attacks
said on Saturday a cell planning to "target" its interior ministry,
the Saudi embassy and a causeway linking the island state with neighbouring
Saudi Arabia had been broken up and its members captured.
Bahraini members of the cell were detained by authorities in neighbouring Qatar
after they entered the Gulf Arab state from Saudi Arabia, the state news agency
BNA quoted an interior ministry spokesman as saying.
four had documents and a computer that included details on vital installations,
the news agency added.
Qatari security authorities questioned the suspects and enquiries in Qatar
revealed that the suspects had illegally left Bahrain after being incited by
others to head to Iran, passing through Qatar and Syria, to establish a group
that carries out armed terrorist operations in Bahrain against vital
establishments and individuals," BNA reported.
to date have confirmed that the suspects were targeting the King Fahd Causeway,
the ministry of interior building, the Saudi Arabia embassy and
individuals," it added.
agency said the four carried unspecified sums of foreign currency, including US
dollars and Iranian rials, and had flights booked to Syria.
said the four suspects gave information about a fifth member of the group in Bahrain,
who was also arrested.
was rocked earlier this year by unrest led by majority Shi'ite Muslims
demanding reforms and an end to sectarian discrimination in the Sunni-led
island state, where the US Fifth Fleet is based.