Barclays said to hand Qatar deal documents over to UK's SFO

Barclays has been under investigation since 2012 by regulators including Serious Fraud Office over Gulf investments
Barclays said to hand Qatar deal documents over to UK's SFO
By Reuters
Thu 04 Feb 2016 07:59 PM

Barclays Plc has agreed to hand internal documents over to British prosecutors, potentially ending a drawn-out investigation into a 2008 fundraising involving Middle Eastern investors, Bloomberg reported on Thursday.

Barclays has been under investigation since 2012 by regulators including Britain's Serious Fraud Office (SFO) over two emergency cash injections made mostly by Qatari investors during the 2007-9 financial crisis.

The bank is currently in the process of handing over to the SFO communication documents from the fundraising that it had previously said contained legal advice protected by attorney-client privilege, Bloomberg said, citing four people with knowledge of the matter.

Barclays and the SFO both declined to comment when contacted by Reuters.

The 12 billion pounds ($17.6 billion) Barclays received in 2008 saved the bank from the state bailouts rivals RBS and Lloyds had to accept.

For all the latest banking and finance news from the UAE and Gulf countries, follow us on Twitter and Linkedin, like us on Facebook and subscribe to our YouTube page, which is updated daily.

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Subscribe to Arabian Business' newsletter to receive the latest breaking news and business stories in Dubai,the UAE and the GCC straight to your inbox.