Font Size

- Aa +

Mon 17 Mar 2008 01:46 AM

Font Size

- Aa +

Bridge collapse suspects charged

Five charged with negligence over deaths of seven workers in Dubai construction disaster.

Five men have been referred to court for causing the death of seven workers when a bridge under construction collapsed in Dubai Marina last year, it was reported on Sunday.

According to Dubai’s Attorney General, Esam Eisa Al Humaidan, public prosecutors had charged the suspects with “accidentally and negligently” causing the deaths after they failed to take necessary security measures or protect worker’s safety, UAE daily Gulf News reported.

The nationalities of the suspects was not revealed. They include a worker’s supervisor and his assistant, safety and security officer, project engineer and project manager, the newspaper said.

The workers were killed in November 2007 when a crane attempted to lift a 1.5 tonne load onto the bridge, under construction on Sufooh Road near Jumeirah Mall. The load hit the bridge columns causing it to collapse.

Dubai police said at the time that the crane driver and poor site supervision were to blame for the disaster in which 24 others were injured.

Three employees of contractor Wade Adams, including the crane operator, an engineer and a supervisor were said to be facing charges of manslaughter and negligence, however the crane driver was later discharged on lack of evidence.

Assistant chief prosecutor Ahmad Al Hammadi said an investigation by Dubai Municipality had found the accident was caused by “overloading iron on the second layer of steel in undesignated places and allowing a number of workers to work under the bridge without taking necessary precautionary measures such as using temporary pillars and following an unclear work plan”, Gulf News reported.

For all the latest construction news from the UAE and Gulf countries, follow us on Twitter and Linkedin, like us on Facebook and subscribe to our YouTube page, which is updated daily.