By Beatrice Thomas
Man claims he contracted the infection while staying at Sol Azur Hotel
A British man has launched legal action against a travel company after claiming his break to Tunisia was ruined after he contracted cholera, London’s Daily Mail reported.
Tim Warner, 47, who was on a romantic getaway with his partner Amanda Dworak, has alleged he suffered diarrhoea throughout the £1,488 ($2,502), 12-day holiday at the Sol Azur Hotel and was doubled over in pain after being hit by the infection, which is usually confined to Third World countries.
After initially believing it was food poisoning, he visited a doctor when the symptoms continued after he returned home and was “gobsmacked” to be diagnosed with cholera - a bacterial infection caused by eating food which has been in contact with faeces, the newspaper reported.
Warner said the couple had noticed the smell of raw sewage when they arrived at the three-star hotel in September last year.
“We arrived in the middle of the night, and the first thing we noticed was the smell of raw sewage - it was absolutely unbelievable,” he was quoted as saying.
“Halfway through the holiday we’d had enough and the travel rep, to their credit, moved us to the other side of the complex so the sea wind would waft it away.
“Even then, when we went down to the pool area, we had to pinch our noses with our finger and thumb.”
Warner also claimed that part-way through the holiday, which was booked with Thomas Cook, the hotel’s restaurant had to be closed.
The couple contacted Thomas Cook but said they were unhappy with the tour operator's response, and as such have launched civil action through solicitors Slater & Gordon.
Mark Montaldo, specialist travel lawyer with Slater & Gordon, told the Daily Mail: “This was meant to be a relaxing and romantic getaway but instead the holiday was ruined when Tim was left severely ill with a potentially life threatening illness.”