Font Size

- Aa +

Sun 29 Dec 2019 09:37 AM

Font Size

- Aa +

Sultan of Oman loses battle to build extension at his $20m UK mansion

Omani leader bought the Surrey mansion from footballer John Terry in 2014

Sultan of Oman loses battle to build extension at his $20m UK mansion

The Omani leader had applied to add 10 new bedrooms to the mansion. MUSCAT OMAN NOVEMBER 26, 2010. Photo by Chris Jackson / Getty Images

The Sultan of Oman has been refused planning permission for an extension at his £16 million ($20.93m) home in the United Kingdom after authorities discovered the property may be home to a species of endangered newts, according to press reports.

Sultan Qaboos bin Said bought the mansion in Surrey in 2014 from previous owner, English footballer John Terry.

The Omani leader had applied to add 10 new bedrooms to the mansion, according to a report by the MailOnline.

The property, built in 2010, currently consists of a three-car garage, a separate three-bedroom flat, staff accommodation, a swimming pool, jacuzzi, steam-room and an entertainment area. 

However, the plans have been rejected due to the potential presence of great crested newts in a nearby fishing lake.

“A pond is shown on the proposed site plan within 100m of the proposed development. This may have the potential to be a habitat for Great Crested Newts, which are a European protected species. An Ecology Survey was not submitted in support of the application, and so the impact on protected species could not be ascertained,” the planning report allegedly said, according to the report.

An appeal had been made about the decision but this was also subsequently rejected.

For all the latest construction news from the UAE and Gulf countries, follow us on Twitter and Linkedin, like us on Facebook and subscribe to our YouTube page, which is updated daily.