By Sam Bridge
UAE's newest leisure destination, Madar, will open its doors to the public for the first time on Thursday
The UAE’s newest leisure destination, Madar, will open its doors to the public for the first time on Thursday.
Located in the heart of the Aljada megaproject in the Muwaileh district of Sharjah, Madar contains a cluster of family-friendly attractions within a 600,000 square foot park.
From the Arabic word for ‘path’ or ‘orbit’, the name Madar represents the free movement of people around the site, and also reflects the original design by Zaha Hadid Architects, a statement said.
The first phase of Madar will play host to a full calendar of engaging events every weekend. Featuring live performances from artists, sportspeople and musicians, the theme of the first weekend will be ‘cultural fusion’, while later events will focus on areas such comedy, music, food, gaming and film, the statement added.
Sheikh Sultan bin Ahmed Al Qasimi, chairman of Arada, said: “This is the first opportunity for members of the public to experience a taste of Aljada, a project that is truly transformational for Sharjah. This destination is a new place for families, for lovers of culture, for those who are looking for excitement and for those who are seeking to learn. We want the Sharjah community to be a part of Aljada’s progress, and we look forward to welcoming everyone to Madar.”
Prince Khaled bin Alwaleed bin Talal, vice chairman of Arada, added: “The launch of Madar at Aljada is an important step in our mission to build a sustainable and smart city that represents a new future for Sharjah. With more than 5,000 trees planted in this area alone, Madar shows how Aljada is set to become one of the greenest destinations in the region.”
The first part of Aljada to be completed will be open to the public from 3pm on Thursday and will subsequently be open between 10am and 10pm on weekdays, and between 10am and midnight on weekends.
Attractions on offer at Madar include:
* Zad, a new address for the UAE’s food lovers, which has 15 different brands, each housed in a redesigned shipping container. Zad’s two zones consist of a drive-thru space and a more social picnic area, with extensive seating.
* YourSpace has been designed as a fully-fledged events hall to benefit the entire Aljada community and will host studios, exhibitions, markets and conferences.
* For outdoor events, Madar’s Amphitheatre has a maximum capacity of 500 people and can be used to host film screenings, markets, parties and musical performances.
* Featuring tower frames, swings, embedded trampolines and slides, Playscape is an immersive children’s adventure zone which also includes a climbing wall and activity nets.
* Designed by the students from the American University of Sharjah, the AUS Pavilion is a sweeping architectural structure designed to provide shade and a communal area for residents and visitors to Aljada.
* The centerpiece of Madar is the Aljada Discovery Centre, an elliptical building that features an immersive, coil-shaped ‘experience room’, that will allow visitors to experience different parts of Aljada from a 360-degree perspective, using next-generation digital technology. It also features a show apartment and the Aljada café, where visitors can relax and enjoy views of the community.
To be completed over three phases, the full Madar masterplan is over 25 football fields in size and will incorporate a large range of facilities and attractions including a large public square, an extreme sports centre, an ‘edutainment’ complex, two retail zones, an 11-screen cinema and a large community park.For all the latest construction news from the UAE and Gulf countries, follow us on Twitter and Linkedin, like us on Facebook and subscribe to our YouTube page, which is updated daily.