Cross-dressing beggar nabbed in Saudi

Man in women’s clothing was arrested in Dammam area
Cross-dressing beggar nabbed in Saudi
Arguably the worlds most famous cross dresser, Frank N Furter from The Rocky Horror Picture Show. (Photo for illustrative purposes only)
By Staff writer
Tue 20 Aug 2013 09:37 AM

Authorities in Saudi Arabia arrested a man caught cross-dressing as a woman in order to beg for money on Monday, it was reported.

According to Arabic daily Al Sharq, the unidentified individual was apprehended at a major road intersection in the Eastern Province city of Dammam.

Both cross-dressing and begging are illegal under Saudi law, although there is generally a significant upturn in the latter during Ramadan.

Saudi authorities said that they had arrested 210 beggars in Dammam during Ramadan this year. “The arrests included 107 women, 30 men and 73 children,” officials were quoted as saying by Al Sharq. “We have found out that the percentage of Saudi nationals were 27 percent while foreigners made up the remaining 73 percent.”

The majority of these arrests were made outside of mosques and at traffic intersections, the officials added.

For all the latest business news from the UAE and Gulf countries, follow us on Twitter and Linkedin, like us on Facebook and subscribe to our YouTube page, which is updated daily.

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Subscribe to Arabian Business' newsletter to receive the latest breaking news and business stories in Dubai,the UAE and the GCC straight to your inbox.