Blaze was caused by a cigarette thrown into a plant pot near Al Habtoor Hotel
A blaze near Al Habtoor Hotel in Dubai Marina was quickly put under control this Friday morning, according to Dubai Civil Defence, as heavy smoke could be seen billowing across the area.
The fire, which was caused by a cigarette thrown into a plant pot near the hotel, was described by authorities as very minor.
Rashid Khalifa Buflasa, the director general for fire and rescue at Dubai Civil Defence, said the fire was instantly controlled, and no injuries were reported.
Pictures of the incident quickly circulated on social media, with some users praising authorities' response to the fire, calling it 'very fast and efficient.'
Dubai has seen a number of fires in the past few years, with Dubai Marina having witnessed at least three in the past two years.
Last month, the Ministry of Interior upgraded its smart services list to allow applications to install fire alarm systems in residences and link them with the Civil Defence's operations rooms.
Applications for the service can be made through the ministry's website, www.moi.gov.ae. Once an application is submitted, the applicant will be contacted by the suppliers of the system for installation.
The ministry started linking homes and villas with its operations rooms, following the technical solution provided by the higher committee tasked with the project.
The system is a self-operated and easily installed smoke detection sensor, with a voice alarm for the quick evacuation of residents.