BIE chief says Dubai will 'dazzle' with Expo 2020 plans

Boss of Bureau International des Expositions says he expects Dubai to host an 'exceptional' expo in 2020
BIE chief says Dubai will 'dazzle' with Expo 2020 plans
By Sam Bridge
Sat 03 Aug 2019 12:13 AM

The head of the organisation responsible for organising Expos around the world has said he expects Dubai to host an "exceptional" event in 2020.

Vicente González Loscertales, secretary-general of the Bureau International des Expositions (BIE), said he is "well satisfied with its [Dubai's] logistical and technical preparations."

In comments made to state news agency WAM, he added: "The BIE is closely monitoring Dubai’s preparations, as well as the preparations of various local bodies, for the global event, which will be held in October 2020. The BIE is sure of the readiness of the UAE, since it won the honour of hosting the largest exhibition in the world in Dubai."

He said: "We are eagerly awaiting the launch of this unique version of the expo in the UAE, and we are certain that Dubai will dazzle us and the world in 2020, as we have felt and are feeling the team spirit. The preparations are all going according to plan, within the timeframe of the UAE’s programme, which was presented at the meetings of the BIE General Assembly."

Loscertales said the Dubai organisers have prioritised the needs of potential visitors and participating countries.

As the first World Expo in the Middle East, Africa and South Asia, Expo 2020 will welcome more than 200 international participants, including a record 192 countries over six months.

Through its theme Connecting Minds, Creating the Future, and its three subthemes – Opportunity, Mobility and Sustainability – Expo 2020 aims to attract a total of 25 million visits are expected over the course of the 173-day event.

Last month, it was revealed that the public’s first opportunity to see the rapidly evolving Expo 2020 Dubai site were fully booked out within three hours.

Expo announced the 'World’s Greatest Show in the Making’ tour, which will see bus tours depart from various locations across the UAE, three days per week, until Saturday August 31.

While the first 3,300 spots were taken quickly, Expo officials said they are working to add more seats and will announce further plans soon.

For all the latest business news from the UAE and Gulf countries, follow us on Twitter and Linkedin, like us on Facebook and subscribe to our YouTube page, which is updated daily.

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Subscribe to Arabian Business' newsletter to receive the latest breaking news and business stories in Dubai,the UAE and the GCC straight to your inbox.