The incident was reportedly caused by a cooking gas explosion
One person was killed and another three injured following an explosion inside a building in Dubai’s Al Mankhool area, according to local media reports.
According to a tweet from Dubai Police, the deadly incident was likely caused by a cooking gas explosion.
According to the sources, the explosion took place in a studio apartment on the sixth floor of the seven-floor structure, which contains more than 100 flats.
The condition of the three injured people – who are being treated at Rashid Hospital – remains unclear.
“There was some problem in the gas pipeline as it wouldn’t work. So my sister had lodged a complaint,” the brother of a woman injured in the incident was quoted as saying by the newspaper.
“The two technicians came in the evening and as soon as they began checking the pipeline, the explosion occurred,” he added. “One technician and a resident who was playing with his daughter in the corridor died instantly. My sister and the other technician received 70 percent burns and are on the ventilator at Rashid Hospital.”
Inhabitants of the building were evacuated and shifted to a nearby hotel.
In a statement, Al Ghurair Properties – which owns and operates the building – said that the gas leak caused both external and internal damage to the building, although it “did not affect the overall structure.”
“The safety of residents and employees who work in the building is our primary concern,” the statement added. “All residents were moved out of the building within one hour and accommodated in a nearby hotel.”
Safety assessments are currently underway and it is expected that residents will be able to return in the next two days.