By Gavin Gibbon
GCC total currently stands at 8,265 with 60 deaths
Kuwait has ordered the total lockdown of two districts and extended a public holiday until April 26 as the total number of confirmed cases of coronavirus reached 665 on Monday.
The heavily populated areas of Jleeb Al Shuyoukh and Mahboula, where predominantly expatriate labourers live, have been placed in complete isolation for two weeks.
The Kuwaiti Cabinet previously discussed the move on Saturday after it was revealed that the majority of cases being reported in the country were involving expat residents.
The Cabinet also extended the curfew countrywide, from 5pm until 6am, until further notice.
The Ministry of Health confirmed 109 new cases of coronavirus on Monday.
Official spokesperson Dr. Abdullah Al-Sanad said that 20 patients are at intensive care wards, including seven in a critical condition, adding that a total of 561 infected people are still receiving treatment. Meanwhile, 911 people were discharged from their non-residential quarantine. One person has died so far from the virus.
Minister of Health Dr. Basel Al-Sabah earlier said that that four patients had recovered, bringing the overall number to 103 recoveries.
Meanwhile, Bahrain registered 23 new cases of Covid-19 on Monday, while there were 33 new cases recorded in Oman.
Countries of the six-member Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) have recorded 8,265 cases of infection and 60 deaths; Saudi Arabia (2,605 cases and 38 deaths), UAE (2,076 and 11 deaths), Qatar (1,832 and four deaths), Bahrain (756 and four deaths), Kuwait (665 and one death) and Oman (331 and two deaths).