We noticed you're blocking ads.

Keep supporting great journalism by turning off your ad blocker.

Questions about why you are seeing this? Contact us

Font Size

- Aa +

Wed 31 Mar 2010 10:10 AM

Font Size

- Aa +

Custody battle mum registers case in UK High Court

Boy's mother has been battling for custody of 10-year old in a Doha court for five months.

A British mother who is battling for custody of her son against his Qatari relatives has registered the case in the UK High Court.

Custody of 10-year old Adam Jones was granted to his 77-year old Qatari grandmother after his deceased father’s family allegedly abducted him during a family visit.

His mother Rebecca Jones, who has been battling for custody in a Doha court for five months, was yesterday told that the case had been adjourned until May 2, according to Gulf Daily News.

Fearing she may lose custody, Jones has registered her son’s case in the UK under the Child Abduction Act.

“Adam has already said in court that he wants to be with me, but this is still going on,” she told the newspaper. “It’s disgraceful really. I shouldn't have to prove anything to anyone in the first place - I'm his mum.”

Jones moved to Bahrain in 1988 and married Adam’s father Jamal Al Madhaiki ten years later. Their son was born the following year but the couple divorced in late 1999.

Six years later her ex husband died in a motorcycle accident. She claims that Adam was kidnapped by her ex husband’s family in October.

More than 10,3000 members have joined a Facebook group demanding Adam’s return home while 5,100 people have signed a separate petition.

Arabian Business: why we're going behind a paywall