By Daniel Shane
Cyril Karabus was found not guilty of charges relating back to 2002 by Abu Dhabi court last month
A doctor cleared of manslaughter charges in the UAE dating back to a decade ago will fly back to his native South Africa on Tuesday, his lawyer has said.
Cyril Karabus, a paediatric oncologist, was accused of killing a three-year-old leukaemia patient while working in Abu Dhabi in 2002, and was convicted and sentenced to three years in jail and ordered to pay AED100,000 ($27,226) without his knowledge.
Karabus was arrested at Dubai airport in August last year as he changed flights on his way home from his son’s wedding in Canada, and in the intervening months has had bail denied four times, as well as having his case postponed 13 times.
Following the meeting of a medical review committee comprising nine doctors last month, Karabus was cleared of any wrongdoing and subsequently found not guilty by the court, although prosecutors have appealed the judgement.
Karabus’s Cape Town-based lawyer Michael Bagraim told Times Live that prosecutors in Abu Dhabi would start and finish their appeal on Tuesday. Bagraim said that Karabus’s defence attorneys in the emirate took this to mean that he would be freed the next day.
Earlier in his career Karabus had pioneered treatment for cancer and blood disorders at the Red Cross hospital in Cape Town, where he worked for 35 years, as well as training doctors at Cape Town University. He won international praise for treating black children during the apartheid era.