By Gavin Gibbon
Schools remain open but students with flu symptoms are advised to stay home until full recovery
Nurseries in the UAE are closed from today (Sunday, March 1) for two weeks as the country strives to curb the spread of the deadly coronavirus.
As of Sunday morning, schools in the emirate remain open as normal.
Dr. Abdul Rahman bin Mohammad bin Nasser Al Owais, Minister of Health and Prevention, said: “We are constantly assessing the situation and will take any measures required to ensure the safety of our students. We have earlier issued a circular to suspend all student activities inside and outside the country until further notice. Another circular has already been issued allowing any student having flu symptoms to stay home until full recovery.”
There have been 21 cases of coronavirus confirmed in the UAE; five people have fully recovered, while 16 cases remain “active” and two are described as “serious”, according to global tracker worldometers.
"Recovery from the virus is on the rise, with more than 90 percent of infected cases being in China, and the remaining distributed all over the world," said the minister, adding that the precautionary measures taken by the UAE have been acclaimed by the World Health Organisation and Arab health ministers during their recent meeting in Cairo in addition to the Chinese officials.
Last week, Bahrain closed all public and private schools and nurseries for two weeks in a bid to contain the virus. There are currently 41 confirmed cases in the kingdom.
In Kuwait, the cabinet agreed to suspend all government and private schools, colleges, universities and military colleges, and Awqaf and Islamic Affairs educational centres, as of March 1 until March 12. The number of confirmed cases in Kuwait currently stands at 45.