By Andy Sambidge
Bernie Ecclestone also says Abu Dhabi facilities are the best on the Formula 1 circuit
Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone has said he's not worried about Bahrain hosting a F1 race despite ongoing clashes between security forces and anti-government protesters.
"I wasn't concerned this year and I'm not concerned for next year," Ecclestone said in comments published by Associated Press.
In September, Bahrain retained its place on the Formula One calendar for 2013.
The governing International Automobile Federation (FIA) said Bahrain, which saw violence between police and anti-government protesters in the days prior to the race, would be the fourth round of the 20-race championship on April 21.
Ecclestone has long been one of the strongest backers of the Bahrain GP since it became the first race in the Gulf eight years ago, AP said.
Last month, Bahrain banned all protests amid the growing violence.
AP reported that Ecclestone also raised the possibility of a third F1 race in the Gulf, with officials in Qatar reportedly seeking a licence to allow it to host F1 teams for preseason testing.
"Let's see. Let's see what comes out of it," he told AP.
The F1 chief also praised Abu Dhabi, which he said has the best facilities of any circuit in the series.For all the latest sports news from the UAE and Gulf countries, follow us on Twitter and Linkedin, like us on Facebook and subscribe to our YouTube page, which is updated daily.
Why would he care? He gets paid even if almost no-one turns up to watch. Like last year.
Of course he cares! He wouldn't be there if it weren't for the millions being pumped into his pockets by the event organizers. Oh, the people? - Nah, he doesn't give a hoot. Keep on walkin' Bernie, keep on walkin'...
Loved the race Jan , excellent track. But did missed lack race fans during the race. Cheering fans are part of the Racing experience. The GP in Montreal here with massive crowds of race fans was breath taken. Would like Middle East race fans to enjoy this people event also.
Big thank you to Kuwait Investors to day in Canada. Azhar Mohammed the Executive Direct of Canadian Motor Sport has announced the building of a New State of the Art 1.6 km oval race track here in Southern Ontario.65000 seats plus luxury Private Suites the $400 million plus deal has been well received . The deal has been fully approved by all involved .Motor sports fans very excited here should be highly successful venue. We will have no problem filling it :) More announcements to come on Hotels and a Auto Mall Restaurant's and Shopping. Thank you Kuwait