We noticed you're blocking ads.

Keep supporting great journalism by turning off your ad blocker.

Questions about why you are seeing this? Contact us

Font Size

- Aa +

Sun 14 Mar 2010 08:25 AM

Font Size

- Aa +

Father dies after using petrol to light indoor BBQ

Man suffers 90% burns; two year-old son being treated in hospital for burns.

A father died and his two-year-old son was badly burned after the man attempted to light a barbecue inside his home using petrol.

Shiraz Abdul Rahman, 37, suffered more than 90 percent burns to his body, UAE daily the National reported on Sunday. He died after being airlifted from his home in Al Qusais to hospital.

His son, Hanis, suffered 35 percent burns and is currently being treated in Al Wasl Hospital.

A relative told the paper that Rahman, originally from Kerala, India, was at home with his wife, two children and an employee when he tried to light the barbecue in the kitchen.

“It got out of control and the carriage caught fire,” Yahiya Malikkal told the paper.

The carriage fell on Rahman and the flames quickly spread because of the petrol. Hanis was standing next to his father.

“Simi pulled Hanis aside and quickly doused the fire. Shiraz was fully on fire and there was nothing that could be done,” Malikkal said.

Arabian Business digital magazine: read the latest edition online

Brit happy to be here 10 years ago

So sorry for the family, how tragic.

Punky Brewster 10 years ago

As we feel sorry for the loss of a family member, the PUBLIC should PLEASE use COMMON SENSE, when it intends to make a meal indoors. Glad to see the child survive, but the scars remain for life, reminding him of the tragedy! Poor family....

Mary 10 years ago

So sad to hear about the tradgedy....my heartfelt condolences to his wife and 2 children...It must have been pretty hard for them....May God give them the courage and the strength to overcome this loss...with you in prayers.

Nafees Ahamed 10 years ago

BBQ is generally an outdoor activity + use the common sense! Think of the possible outcomes before one does anything!. A lesson for all My grievances for the family

Maroun 10 years ago

It is a sad loss for the family a heart felt prayer goes to them, may God give them strength to overcome their sad loss.

zafar mustafa 10 years ago

While doing BBQ please be careful...for sure it must not be indoor and also outdoor extreme care must be taken. Well my relatives stay opposite to the building where this incident happen..All were every sad when they saw this things happened..... May Allah gives them the courage and the strength to overcome this loss...with you in prayers.

Mohideen 10 years ago

Allah will helpyou andyour family.We will pray for u and ur children.