Font Size

- Aa +

Wed 15 Jun 2011 09:54 PM

Font Size

- Aa +

FIA formally strikes Bahrain from 2011 F1 calendar

Formula 1's governing body says decision taken following unanimous vote of FIA World Motor Sport Council

FIA formally strikes Bahrain from 2011 F1 calendar

The International Automobile Federation (FIA) on Wednesday formally removed Bahrain off the 2011 Formula One calendar.

It said in a statement that following a fax vote of the FIA World Motor Sport Council, a unanimous decision had been made to restore the calendar to its original schedule without Bahrain.

The change means the inaugural Indian Grand Prix will take place on October 30 and the season will conclude in Brazil on November 27.

Formula One's governing body's decision leaves the Formula One championship with 12 remaining races, after seven to date.

The latest FIA vote was little more than a formality after Bahrain had announced last week that it accepted the race could not go ahead and would no longer be seeking to host it.

Bahrain was originally scheduled as the March 13 season-opener but the race at Sakhir circuit had to be postponed due to civil unrest in the Gulf kingdom.

Formula One's commercial supremo Bernie Ecclestone and the FIA gave the Bahraini authorities months to decide whether to seek reinstatement of the race, postponing the deadline to the start of June.

Bahrain lifted emergency law this month after putting down anti-government protests.

The race remains on the FIA's provisional 2012 calendar as the March 11 season-opener, although one of the 21 races is expected to be dropped.

For all the latest sports news from the UAE and Gulf countries, follow us on Twitter and Linkedin, like us on Facebook and subscribe to our YouTube page, which is updated daily.