Football's ruling body says it will investigate Gulf state's qualifying match victory over Indonesia
Soccer’s ruling body FIFA will investigate Bahrain’s “unusual” 10-0 defeat of Indonesia in a qualifying match in the Asian zone for the 2014 World Cup.
Bahrain had needed to make up for a nine-goal deficit in order to have a shot at advancing to the next phase of the qualifying stages.
Its 10-0 defeat of Indonesia on Wednesday proved worthless after Qatar tied Iran 2-2, and joined South Korea, Lebanon and Oman in the final group stage of Asian qualifying.
“Given the unusual outcome in relation to the results-expectation and head-to-head history, and in the interests of maintaining unequivocal confidence in our game, FIFA Security will conduct a routine examination of this game and its result,” the Swiss-based organisation said in a statement.
Indonesia had been unable to field its strongest team after some senior players were suspended because of their involvement in the Indonesian Super League.
Bahrain, managed by former England coach Peter Taylor, was also helped by the Indonesian goalkeeper being sent off after two minutes.
Saudi Arabia also failed to qualify after losing 4-2 to Australia who scored three goals in four minutes.
The Saudis took a 2-1 lead in the Group D clash at the AAMI stadium with first-half efforts from midfielder Salem Aldawsari and striker Nassir Al Shamrani.
The group winners then hit back in spectacular fashion with goals from Harry Kewell (73 minutes), Alex Brosque (75) and Brett Emerton (76) as they ended up with 15 points from six games.
The Saudis, on six points, needed victory to reach the fourth round of Asian qualifying but defeat meant Oman (eight points) went through.