Filipinos in Kuwait have collected 10,000 signatures supporting a call for the Philippines government to ban more of its citizens taking up domestic work in the Gulf state following a spate of alleged abuse and rapes.
The petition was handed to Consul General Raul Dado at the Philippines Embassy in Kuwait City on Tuesday.
Dado said he would include the petition along with comments from Filipino employers and recruitment agencies in Kuwait in a presentation to the Filipino government.
“The people have spoken and they actually attached their signatures to stress their points here,” Dado said.
“It’s up to the central government to [decide] on various options. We’ll see how we can get a viable solution to the call for a moratorium.
“The signatures gathered will be one of our basis for our position papers that will be submitted along with others to the Secretary of Foreign Affairs [Albert del Rosario]. Along with this, we will also send some suggestions from recruitment agencies and employers especially those who are employing Filipinas.
“The government will consider all options in deciding [on a] call for a moratorium including the economical and humanitarian aspects and even political relations. It’s up to the central government to decide.
“I agree that domestic helpers must be provided with proper protection.”
Treatment of domestic helpers in Kuwait has been an issue for years. The Philippines has previously threatened to ban sending more of its citizens to the wealthy Gulf state, while in 2009 it was reported there was a spate of Filipina maids fleeing their employers amid complaints of mistreatment.For all the latest business news from the UAE and Gulf countries, follow us on Twitter and Linkedin, like us on Facebook and subscribe to our YouTube page, which is updated daily.
Subscribe to Arabian Business' newsletter to receive the latest breaking news and business stories in Dubai,the UAE and the GCC straight to your inbox.