Though massages are mostly known for their relaxation purposes, they also have numerous health benefits. In fact, new studies indicate that massages can ease pain and boost the immune system. Here are five of its benefits, according to Lush cosmetics:
1. Improves sleep: It is no wonder that many of us have dozed off at the spa, as studies suggest massages can reduce sleep disturbance. According to the American Massage Therapy Association (AMTA), massages can help those with insomnia and lower back pain sleep well. It is linked with delta waves that are associated with deep sleep.
2. Eases pain: In 2007, the American College of Physicians and the American Pain Society listed massages as a recommendation for treating lower back pain. In addition, research showed that an 10-week massage treatment worked better at reducing pain than medication and exercise, and that the effects lasted for six months. Touch Research Institute (TRI) stated that a regular massage can also help with headaches and migraines.
3. Boosts mood and beats stress: TRI also found that rub downs can soothe anxiety by reducing levels of the stress hormone cortisol and boosting levels of neurotransmitters serotonin and dopamine. This may mean less stress, anxiety, and depression.
4. Boosts the immune system: A study by researchers at the Cedars-Sinai Medical Centre in Los Angeles found that people who have had a 45-minute massage had an increase of lymphocytes (white blood cells) which help defend the body against diseases.
5. Boosts skin complexion: Massages can result in radiant skin. Because massages increase blood flow, they encourage lymphatic drainage, which is taking toxins out and away from body cells. That’s why regular massages can add vitality to your complexion.
Subscribe to Arabian Business' newsletter to receive the latest breaking news and business stories in Dubai,the UAE and the GCC straight to your inbox.